23 years service to
the Rugby League

History was made as the beaten 2020 finalists Penrith Panthers and South Sydney Rabbitohs lined up to contest the first ever NRL Grand Final to be held in Brisbane’s  Suncorp Stadium.

This was the finale of an Australian rugby league season which had moved lock, stock and barrel to Queensland as part of strict Covid protocols, although Minor Premiers Melbourne Storm were notable by their absence from the match between the teams who finished second and third on the competition ladder after 24 regular rounds.

The Panthers had the best of the early exchanges, and successfully challenged a knock-on ruling from referee Gerard Sutton at the end of their second set.

Souths, on the other hand, were finishing too many sets from their own half and were forced to concede the first and second drop-outs of the game after five minutes and six minutes.

But the Bunnies fought their way back into the game after an audacious ball-steal and by the 10th minute the game was looking more even.

In fact it wasn’t until the 17th minute that Matt Burton opened the scoring for the Panthers, running through a gap in the Souths line after a beauty of pass from Jarome  Luai. Nathan Cleary converted from the touchline to give Penrith a 6-0 advantage.

The Rabbitohs struck back through five-eight Cody Walker, beating the Penrith line with a show and go then sprinting free to score by the posts. Adam Reynolds duly converted to level the scores at 6-6 with 21 minutes gone.

The Panthers were the next to score against a visibly tiring Bunnies team, after just 30 minutes, who gave away a penalty at the play-the-ball which was no problem for captain Cleary to kick.

The Rabbitohs managed to hold on until half time without conceding anything more, but the Penrith team were clearly the dominant side going into the break.

Souths looked fresher when play restarted and pressed the Panthers line in an opening set that eventually came to nothing with a pass into touch.

But they soon got a penalty for Penrith shepherding, which Reynolds kicked from 20m out to square the game up at 8-8.

Penrith thought they’d hit back on 46 minutes when Viliame Kikau crossed the line, but the final pass to him from Cleary, out of a tackle, was loose and forward.

They  continued to pressurise the Rabbitohs line but 20 minutes into the half, their only reward was another Souths drop-out.

The relentless Panthers pressure eventually told though when winger Stephen Crichton intercepted an unnecessary pass from Souths centre Dane Gagai and sprinted 40m to ground the ball, just when Souths were finally getting into their attacking game.

Cleary kicked the conversion to put the Panthers in control at 14-8, with less than 12 minutes to go.

As the clock ticked down, Souths rediscovered their attack game. And off the back of a penalty for interference at the ruck, Alex Johnston touched down to make it  14-12 with a kick to come.

But Reynolds pushed it wide.

Souths kept up their own pressure in the final five, pushing for the score that would win the title for them. Their final play was to try for a two-point drop goal from outside the 40m mark, but while Reynold’s kick was on target and had the legs, it didn’t have the height to get over the bar.

And that, as they say, was the ball game. Last year’s losing grand finalists Penrith Panthers were duly crowned Premiers.

Score Progression: 0-0, 4-0, 6-0, 6-4, 6-6, 8-6. HT. 8-8, 12-8 14-8, 14-12. FT

Half Time: 8-6.

Full Time: 14-12

Penrith Panthers: Edwards, Crichton (T), Momirovski, Burton (T), To’o; Luai, Cleary (2G, P), Leota, Korosau, Fisher-Harris, Capewell, Martin, Yeo. Interchange: Kikau, May, Sorensen, Lenui.

South Sydney Rabbitohs: Taafe, Johnston (T), Gagal, Graham, Paulo; Walker (T), Reynolds (G, P), Cook, Tatola, Koloamatangi, Su’A, Murray. Interchange: Marshall, Host, Burgess, Arrow.

Referee: Gerard Sutton.

Venue: Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane.

facebook sharing button
twitter sharing button
pinterest sharing button
email sharing button
sharethis sharing button

Posted by tb on Sun 3rd Oct 2021 11:32 AM | Views : 10064 | Replies : 0 | BACK TO STORIES
RLFANS Match Centre

Matches on TV
Sun 30th Jan
CC2022 RND: 2 Rochdale-Midlands
Mon 31st Jan
CH RND: 1 York-Featherstone
Mon 7th Feb
CH RND: 2 Featherstone-Leigh
Thu 10th Feb
SL RND: 1 St.Helens-Catalans
Fri 11th Feb
SL RND: 1 Hull KR-Wigan
Sat 12th Feb
SL RND: 1 Leeds-Warrington
SL RND: 1 Toulouse-Huddersfield
Thu 17th Feb
SL RND: 2 Warrington-Castleford
Fri 18th Feb
SL RND: 2 Wigan-Leeds
Sat 19th Feb
SL RND: 2 Hull FC-St.Helens
Thu 24th Feb
SL RND: 3 Leeds-Catalans
Fri 25th Feb
SL RND: 3 Hull KR-Salford
Thu 3rd Mar
SLRND: 4 Wakefield-Leeds
Fri 4th Mar
SL RND: 4 Warrington-Catalans
Thu 10th Mar
SL RND: 5 Leeds-Hull FC
Fri 11th Mar
SL RND: 5 St.Helens-Warrington
Sat 12th Mar
SL RND: 5 Huddersfield-Castleford
Thu 17th Mar
SL RND: 6 Wigan-Castleford
Fri 18th Mar
SL RND: 6 Salford-Leeds
Sat 19th Mar
SLRND: 6 Warrington-Wakefield
Sun 16th Jan
Sat 15th Jan
CC2022 RND: 1 Orrell10-18British Army
CC2022 RND: 1 Rochdale M36-22Wigan St Pats
Betfred Championship 2022 ROUND : 1
Betfred League One 2022 ROUND : 1
Betfred Super League XXVII ROUND : 1
RLFANS Recent Posts

for more merchandise!